Amenity Expansion and a Mortgage in 1875
In May 1875, the team of Joseph Battin, Frederick Schroeder, Foster Pettit, and John French leased from the Association for a dollar a year the land at the west side of the present parking lot to build a new Amusement Hall at a cost of $10,000 which was scheduled to open in June 1876.
In December 1875, the Association mortgaged the Prospect House and its land with the Germania Saving Bank, Mr. Schroeder’s bank, for $10,000. Attached to the mortgage on file with Suffolk County was a survey. (See 1875 Mortgage Map, Illustration 5) The original had three color inks: red, black and blue.
The red shows Squire Chase’s Village, with its streets, Cedar, Fair, Eagle, Washington, Adams, Jefferson. Blocks owned by Lydia Boardman, Robert McGayhey are noted.
The black shows the new Prospect Grove streets, Summerfield Place, Wesley and Clinton avenues.
The area in blue is the area being mortgaged, including the wharf.
This map, drawn by the surveyor Charles Bateman, unequivocally locates Frederick Chase’s Place called Prospect on the 1875, and present, street network.
It seems that fish factories were still on the Island during these early years, including one near the base of White Hill, which emanated a very unpleasant odor. Within a year or so, however, it was shut down and the five acres, lot 2000, was purchased by the Reverend Henry M. Scudder of Brooklyn in September 1875. His family still owns the compound.
The 1880 Census suggests that at least one fish factory was still on the Island as 10 men were involved in that business. It was probably on Coecles Harbor as Ram Island Road was at that time called Factory Road.
Only seven lots were sold in 1875, for a total of $2,350.