|6. Lands of Frederick Chase at his Death
Frederick Chase died on January 7, 1857 at the age of 73 years, 11 months. He was buried in the Presbyterian Church cemetery. He died without a will. Rebecca Chase, his widow, and Joseph H. Skillman were appointed administrators on May 20, 1859. (To see Shelter Island at the time of Squire Chase’s death, click on the map.)
In October 1860, Albert S. Chase, the son, claimed in Court that Joseph Skillman was not following through with his responsibilities as Administrator, but finally an inventory of personal property was submitted to the Court. Interesting items include 24 7/8 cords of wood valued at $93.28; one old desk with claws, $2; 18 yards of old rag carpet, $2.25; a mahogany table, $5; a mahogany rocking chair, $8; one old eight day clock, $3; one looking glass, $1; a feather bed and bedding, $12.50; one patent cider mill, $12.50; 5 tons English hay, $35; 2 tons old clover hay, $8; one pair five year old cattle, $120; one one year old bull, $15; 35 sheep, $70; 122 1/8 pounds wool, $36.75; two pigs, $4; two calves, $12; six small silver tea spoons, $2; balance due on wood sold to David Weck, $100. The total value of his moveable estate was $732.40.
The farm he had occupied was recognized as one, but in an 1869 transaction within the family, was listed in five parts for clarity:
The first, the old Homestead bounded on the East by Dering Harbor and the [Chase] Creek, on the South by what was called the King Farm to the Bay, and West and North by the Bay. About 70 acres.
The second, known as the King Farm, bounded East by the Creek, North by the old Homestead, West by the Bay, and South partly by the land of Daniel Wells, and partly by the Nicoll Lots, north of the City Road. About 65 acres.
The third, know as the City Lots, bounded on the South by the City Road, on the East by the land late of Moses D. Griffing and the head of the Creek, on the North by the King Farm partly and partly by the land of the heirs of Richard Nicoll, and on the West by the Bay. About 63 acres. (Land earlier referred to as that of Esther Sarah Dering.)
The fourth, the land known as the Nicoll Woodland, bounded on the North by City Road and the Bay, on the West by other land belonging to Frederick Chase which formerly belonged to the Wiggins Estate, and Southerly by the lands of John Payne, William H. Phillips, Bernard Walters and Edward Raynor and Easterly by the lands of William McGill and Sidney Raynor. About 45 acres.
The fifth, the piece of woodland bought from the Commissioners in partitioning the Wiggins estate, bounded on the East by land of Frederick Chase, on the North by the Bay, on the West by land late of Lodovich Havens, and on the South by land of Meramy P. Jennings. About 15 acres.
On October 27, 1859 Rebecca Chase Beebe of Greenport sold her lots, numbers 45 and 47 at a place called Prospect to her sister Lydia Chase Boardman also of Greenport for $50.
On May 24, 1864, Lydia Chase Boardman sold her block in a place called Prospect to Robert McGeyhey for $300. It is described as 81 square rods, bounded North by Washington Street, East by Fair Street, South by Adams Street, and West by Cedar Street. Because of the price it must be assumed that there wsa a house on the lot.
Into the mid-1860s there were houses in the place called Prospect, but not a great deal of activity. Our family tradition is that a number of houses were moved to the City in the early 1870s and one house was moved to 31 North Menantic Road where is is now known as Burro Hall.
Jonathan Preston, who had started regular ferry service between Shelter Island and Greenport in 1854, had chosen not to use the Shelter Island Wharf at Prospect, but instead purchased land from the estate of Moses D. Griffing in Dering Harbor at the end of the State Road. When Dering Harbor froze over he would use the Shelter Island Wharf at Prospect, otherwise Preston used his dock which was located where the Piccozzi pier is in 2003.
Changes on the Wind