David Allen, curator of the Map Collection at the Library at SUNY, Stony Brook, told us that the 1855 U. S. Coastal Survey was a very intensive project. Soundings were taken at sea and on the ground surveyors made note of everything known, particularly the names of places, locations of buildings, and vegetation.
Because the 1845 New York State Census notes that on the Island there were 2,512 sheep, 680 of which were under one year old, we can further trust the map’s designation of much of the land, especially Chase’s Neck, Conkling’s Neck, and much of Big Ram, was, in 1855, meadow or pasture for sheep. Also in 1845, there were 5,144 pounds of wool harvested. Acreage under cultivation included oats, 145; Rye, 35.5; Corn, 105.5; Wheat, 85; Potatoes, 34; Turnips, 10; Buck Wheat, 13; Beans, 4; and, Barley 27.5.
The 1855 map shows the road ending on the north at the end of the road at Crescent Beach. There it says “Old Ferry.” This would be Boisseau’s Ferry. However, the main road on Shelter Island, laid out in 1828 from ferry to ferry suggests, from the jury trial to fix fair payment to property owners, that the road went from what is now South Ferry to what is now Stearn’s Point at Camp Quinipet. The story is that the road was built along the beach to the annoyance of the owners, was abandoned, and finally disappeared and was long forgotten by 1855.
Return to Lands of Frederick Chase at his Death